Top 8 No-Code App Builders for 2023
Have you ever imagined turning your unique app idea into a reality, even if you don't have coding skills? If you're eager to explore the world of no-code app development and discover the best platforms to make your vision a reality, you're in the right place.
In this article, we've carefully curated a selection of top no-code platforms that empower individuals and businesses to transform their ideas into fully functional digital products. Whether you're envisioning a web app, an e-commerce solution, or a mobile application, we'll introduce you to the platforms that enable you to bring your ideas to life. We'll showcase the platforms that offer powerful features and flexibility, giving you the insights you need to explore the possibilities of no-code technology.
In classifying these app development platforms, we looked at what makes each one special and who they're best suited for. We considered their main features and what sets them apart. Our choices are platforms that many people have found useful for various tasks. We want to make a diverse comparison for different use cases.
Bubble: best for web apps and consumer-facing apps
Why choose Bubble?
Bubble stands out as the ideal platform for web app development, particularly when creating consumer-facing applications. Its responsive engine for creating layouts ensures that your apps adapt seamlessly to different devices, offering an enhanced user experience. With hosting and development tools all in one place, Bubble simplifies the entire app development process. Whether you're a small business looking to build an online presence or an entrepreneur venturing into the world of web apps, Bubble's versatility and responsive design capabilities make it a standout choice.
- Responsive layout engine: Bubble's responsive design tools allow users to create adaptive layouts, ensuring that web apps look and function perfectly on various devices.
- Templates: A rich library of pre-built templates is available, providing a head start for projects and saving valuable development time.
- Integration capabilities: Bubble offers numerous integration options to connect with other tools and services, expanding the functionality of web apps.
- Community support: Users benefit from a supportive community and extensive tutorials that aid in learning and troubleshooting.
What are its drawbacks?
Users new to the platform may encounter a moderate learning curve, especially when exploring its feature-rich environment. Additionally, when creating responsive layouts for pages with an abundance of elements, users might find that it can be a time-consuming process, as it requires meticulous adjustment of each individual element. Furthermore, Bubble's pricing structure, which is workload-based, may not be the most budget-friendly option for users with simple project requirements or limited budgets.
How much does Bubble cost?
- Starter: $32/month (paid monthly) or $29/month (paid annually)
- A basic plan ideal for testing your project or minimum viable product and for apps with small-to-medium user bases.
- Growth: $134/month (paid monthly) or $118/month (paid annually)
- For projects that involve a little more development and more complex functionalities.
- Team: $399/month (paid monthly) or $350/month (paid annually)
- For large projects with high workloads.
There’s also a free plan available, which offers an excellent opportunity to explore the platform (with limited functionalities) and build your app without any cost. Additionally, Bubble.io provides a custom plan tailored to suit the needs of projects that involve sensitive data or require specialized support. For more information about this plan and its pricing, you can directly contact their team.
Bubble in action
Thomas C. Sales development representative:
"Bubble can do it all, without any line of code"
“The best thing about Bubble is that it is so polyvalent. I've built landing pages, complex SAAS, Marketplaces, social network etc...
Without ever learning how to code. That's why Bubble really is the best no-code platform. With most of other builders, you quite rapidly hit the limits, but in 2+ years, I haven't found Bubble's one yet.”
Omar M. Director of a Small-Business:
What do you like best about Bubble?
“I like the support team that are wrapped around Bubble, their developers feel like our extended team and their quality assurance is of a high standard.”
What do you dislike about Bubble?
- “No perfect native mobile solution, but absolutely perfect for web-based applications that scale.”
MaidManage, a recruitment app built with Bubble
MaidManage is an app we built at LowCode Agency, powered by Bubble. It simplifies the hiring process for domestic services. Clients can effortlessly schedule appointments with their preferred maids, and workers can manage their upcoming jobs and appointments. Maid Manage also helps with the automatic generation of quotes and estimates for their services. The integration of Stripe for secure payment processing adds an extra layer of convenience.
Flutterflow: best for native mobile apps and scalability
Why choose Flutterflow?
Flutterflow is the go-to platform for developing native mobile apps with ease, making it the best choice for those who value scalability and a consistent user experience across various devices and operating systems. The platform's ability to target Android, iOS, and the web in a single build streamlines the app development process, eliminating the need to write separate codebases for each platform. Additionally, Flutterflow strikes a unique balance between low-code and code-based development, allowing for rapid app creation while offering the flexibility to handle more complex features when needed. This ensures your app remains highly scalable, even as your project grows.
Some of the outstanding features of Flutterflow include:
- Firebase integration: Flutterflow integrates with Firebase, empowering developers to authenticate users and connect widgets to a Firebase database. This functionality is a game-changer for creating interactive and dynamic applications with minimal effort.
- Export functionality: One of the standout features of Flutterflow is its export functionality. As your app evolves and requires more complex functionalities, you can make the leap from a no-code solution to a code-based one. This transition to large-scale projects without starting from scratch is a significant advantage.
- Animation tools: Flutterflow offers the ability to add animations from powerful Flutter tools like Lottie and Rive, enhancing the visual appeal and interactivity of your apps.
- User base: Flutterflow's growing user base of more than 160k+ users reflects its popularity and effectiveness as a no-code app builder for native mobile apps.
What are its drawbacks?
For beginners in app development, the platform's complexity might result in a steeper learning curve. While it excels in native mobile apps, Flutterflow may have limitations when building complex web applications. It's essential to evaluate the specific needs of your project.
How much does Flutterflow cost?
- Visual Application Builder
- Hundreds of Page & Component Templates
- Build Mobile, Web, and Desktop Apps
- API & Data Integration
- Web Publishing
- Standard - $30 per month:
- Download your project source code or APK
- APK Download
- Custom Domain Web Publishing
- Pro - $70 per month:
- Source Repository Integration
- One-Click Localization
- GitHub Integration
- One-Click Deployment to Apple & Google App Stores
- Teams - $70 per month:
- Geared towards teams that need collaboration and advanced features
- Real-Time Collaboration
- Project Level Access Controls
- 7-Day Audit Logs
Flutterflow in action
Juan Camilo G. RPA Developer:
What do you like best about FlutterFlow?
“The facility to integrate API's in the projects without entering into incompatibilities that delay the work. One of the best options I find in Flutterflow is to be able to link the project with Google's Firebase service, it allows the less experts in database connections.”
What do you dislike about FlutterFlow?
“Having to pay so much to have an account with benefits is not something I dislike; however, to have a project with collaborative permissions, you have to make another payment to add collaborators; this payment has a similar price (if not equal) to the user license, so it ends up being more viable in "low cost" situations to develop individually or coordinate access for specific periods (not the ideal scenario).”
Toycycle, a toy-exchanging app built with Flutterflow
ToyCycle is a unique app designed with Flutterflow to connect kids through a safe and supervised platform for trading and buying toys. It focuses on teaching valuable lessons about sharing and responsible consumption. It has a simple onboarding process for parents and children and lets kids list and browse toys, while it implements parental approval for all transactions and chat messages, creating a secure environment for toy trading.
Backendless: Best for all-in-one development
Why choose Backendless?
Backendless is the perfect platform for businesses and developers looking to create customized database apps. You can access and manage data in real time for dynamic app experiences, while user authentication and management are made easy. This platform offers an all-in-one solution, providing push notification and in-app messaging tools, codeless logic building, and API management.
- Real-time data management: Access and manage data in real-time, enhancing the functionality and interactivity of your apps.
- User authentication: Simplified user authentication and management that saves time and ensures the security of your applications.
- Communication capabilities: Backendless gives users push notifications and in-app messaging tools, enabling real-time communication with app users.
- API management: Manage and integrate APIs seamlessly into your applications, expanding their capabilities.
What are its drawbacks?
Backendless may not meet users' expectations when it comes to offering comprehensive tools for inspecting and debugging software projects. There's room for improvement in terms of indexing and the availability of thorough documentation, which would greatly enhance user guidance.
How much does Backendless cost?
Backendless offers two cloud-based pricing plans to accommodate different usage scenarios. These plans include unlimited developer seats at no additional cost.
- Free Plan: This plan is primarily designed for users who want to explore and learn about the Backendless platform. It's a great option for getting acquainted with the features and capabilities it offers.
- Scale Plan: The Scale Plan is ideal for users who want to develop their applications, publish them, and manage them once they are live. This plan also allows for limitless scalability. You can enhance the Scale Plan with Function Packs available in the Backendless Marketplace. It's important to note that all pricing is on a per-application basis.
The pricing for the Scale Plan starts at $15 and then depends on your usage, specifically the number of API requests you make. This pricing adjusts daily based on the peak number of API requests per minute during a 24-hour period. Users on the Scale Plan are billed once a month.
At the lowest tier, if your application has 0-5 requests per minute within a 24-hour period, you'll be charged a daily price of $0.50. There are more tiers available, and the cost increases as you have more requests per minute. Essentially, the more your application is used, the higher the pricing tier you'll fall into.
This pricing structure allows you to pay for what you use, making it flexible for different application needs. If you anticipate high API usage, it's essential to consider this pricing model when choosing the Scale Plan. For more information, you can visit their web.
Backendless in action
Howard Jacobson - Finance
“Backendless is an intelligently designed low-code platform for any web application that requires a strong database back-end, versatile implementation of business rules, and a pleasant, responsive UI. I have tried other platforms (e.g., Bubble and AirTable) and have found no other low-code tool that delivers the power and flexibility of Backendless.”
“The power of the technology is made so much better by the amazing support provided directly by Backendless engineers and even it founder. Getting started with Backendless also is quite easy. The founder has recorded excellent tutorials on all the basics and several advanced features.”
Egil Helland - CEO:
“I have been trying out low-code/no-code solutions for quite some time now, and being based in Europe, Backendless stood out for their support for GDPR legislation, but also their outstanding support community and direct involvement in communicating with that community.”
Shopify: best for e-commerce
Why choose Shopify?
Shopify is a top choice for those venturing into the world of online selling. With Shopify, you can easily set up and manage your online store, add products, process orders, and customize the design, all without the need for extensive technical expertise. The platform's focus on e-commerce ensures that you have access to the tools and features necessary to create a successful online retail presence, making it a go-to option for anyone aiming to start or expand their e-commerce business.
- Store design: Users can customize the design of their online store using a wide selection of themes and templates, ensuring a professional and unique look.
- Payment processing: Shopify offers secure payment processing options, enabling seamless transactions and increasing buyer trust.
- Product management: Users can easily add, categorize, and manage products, making it convenient for online retailers to expand their product offerings.
- Sales and marketing tools: The platform provides tools for marketing, sales promotions, and customer engagement, helping businesses drive traffic and increase sales.
What are its drawbacks?
While Shopify offers a wide range of themes and templates for store design, users may find limitations in achieving the precise aesthetic they desire for their online store. Extensive customization might require some coding skills or the assistance of a developer. Also, the pricing is a significant factor to consider, particularly for businesses with tight budgets or those just starting.
Shopify's long-term costs should be taken into account. Beyond the initial subscription, users may find themselves having to allocate additional funds for updates, plugins, and necessary features to support their store's ongoing functionality and growth. One of the significant drawbacks is the transaction fees it imposes. For every purchase made, Shopify charges users a transaction fee, even if it occurs within their platform. The percentage of this fee varies, typically ranging from 0.5% to 2%, depending on the specific subscription plan you've selected.
How much does Shopify cost?
- Basic Plan ($25/month):
- Designed for individuals and small businesses.
- Includes features like basic reports, up to 1,000 inventory locations, and 2 staff accounts.
- You can get the first 3 months for $1 per month.
- Shopify Plan ($65/month):
- Suitable for small businesses.
- Provides professional reporting and allows more staff accounts.
- Up to 1,000 inventory locations, and 5 staff accounts.
- Advanced Plan ($399/month):
- Targeted at medium to large businesses.
- Lower transaction fees.
- Custom report builder, up to 1,000 inventory locations, and 15 staff accounts.
Shopify in action
Natasha B. - Apparel & Fashion:
“We really like working with Shopify, it's super user-friendly so everyone from our team can jump in and help whenever needed. The reporting is great, you can easily check all the data you need, the payment process is quite simple, and the checkout page is great.
“It'd be great to be able to customize more, like the product pages and collection pages. It requieres advance coding for it. And all of the apps you need to enhance the site and marketing make the pages slower.”
Tenyo P. - Consumer Electronics:
“Shopify is a popular tool with great support that makes it easy to get started in online e-commerce business. It has also great integration across different platforms like Laptops/PCs and smartphones."
“The only disadvantage of Shopify is the expenses that the user has when he is setting up the e-commerce website. There are multiple fees like: monthly subscription fees, platform transactions, and credit card card fees.”
Glide: best for internal business solutions
Why choose Glide?
Glide is the optimal choice for those looking to streamline internal business processes without the need for extensive coding. Its simplicity and intuitive interface make it particularly appealing to businesses and individuals aiming to create data-driven apps like directories, inventory management systems, and employee management tools. Glide's user-friendly approach simplifies app development, enhancing user experiences and expanding the reach of internal business solutions.
- Integration with Google Sheets: Google Sheets serves as a data source, making data management and updates a breeze.
- Wide selection of templates: The platform offers a diverse library of pre-built templates, allowing users to start with a foundation that suits their specific project needs.
- Customization options: Glide empowers users to customize the design of their apps visually, ensuring a unique and professional look.
- Supports Progressive Web App (PWA) technology: Glide supports PWA technology, enabling users to create apps that work seamlessly across various devices and operating systems.
- Real-time updates: Users can enjoy real-time updates between apps and Google Sheets, ensuring data accuracy.
What are its drawbacks?
For highly customized solutions, Glide may fall short of meeting unique requirements. The free tier may have limitations concerning the number of rows you can store in the spreadsheet, potentially impacting the scalability of your app. It's important to note that Glide apps cannot be edited from a mobile device, so you'll need access to a computer for app configuration and editing. For those looking to explore the platform's full range of features, it's worth noting that not all features are available for free, which might impact the ability to fully evaluate functionality.
How much does Glide cost?
- Free Plan: This plan is designed for individuals who are creating their first apps. It's entirely free to start. It includes:
- 3 private users, 3 apps, 1,000 updates per month, and 500 rows.
- Starter Plan: Geared toward professionals and teams building apps for work. $25 per month. It includes:
- 10 private users, 5 apps, 2,500 updates per month, and 5,000 rows.
- Pro Plan: Starts at $99 per month. Ideal for growing teams looking to build apps and internal tools to streamline workflows. It includes:
- 50 private users, unlimited apps, 10,000 updates per month, and 25,000 rows.
- Enhanced features: Powerful Integrations and access to the Glide API.
- Business Plan: For businesses aiming to build integrated solutions across their organization. Starts at $249 per month. It provides access to advanced data sources, including BigQuery and Big Tables. It includes:
- 100 private users, unlimited apps, 25,000 updates per month, and 100,000 rows.
- Enhanced features: Offline Add-Row and Personalized Onboarding.
Glide in action
Gabe Perez - Marketing:
“Super easy and intuitive way to turn spreadsheets and databases into apps.”
Joonas T. - Online course creator:
“The way glide apps are built is unique and highly intuitive and almost addictive. I really like how the API call is now incorporated into the software and the inbuild Glide AI tools are really good. It's so easy to incorporate AI elements to my apps. It's like I can code with "human language" now.”
Known.dev, a logistics solution built with Glide
Known.dev is a custom app we designed at LowCode Agency to provide intuitive shipment tracking for Known Logistics. It integrates with their existing databases, delivers real-time updates, and enhances the customer tracking experience while improving operational efficiency.
Our solution involved developing a NetSuite customer portal using Glide and Make, which not only provided a comprehensive overview of ongoing shipments but also incorporated interactive features such as dynamic maps for location tracking, delivery date information, and updates on shipment progress.
BettyBlocks: best for enterprise-grade applications
Why choose BettyBlocks?
BettyBlocks stands out as the best platform for developing complex enterprise-grade applications. Its powerful capabilities make it an ideal choice for businesses and developers seeking to build robust and highly customized applications. With a comprehensive set of features and tools, BettyBlocks empowers users to create applications that cater to specific business needs. Its customizable user interface, along with a wide selection of pre-built templates, makes it adaptable for a variety of enterprise applications. Additionally, Betty Blocks places a strong emphasis on enterprise-grade security and scalability, ensuring your applications are not only feature-rich but also secure and capable of handling increased workloads. The availability of dedicated customer support further enhances the overall experience.
- Customizable User Interface: Betty Blocks provides the flexibility to create a highly customizable user interface, allowing users to design applications that align with their unique branding and functional requirements.
- Pre-Built Templates: Access to a wide selection of pre-built templates accelerates application development, saving time and effort.
- Enterprise-Grade Security: Betty Blocks places a strong emphasis on security, ensuring that applications are built with robust security measures to protect sensitive data and user information.
- Scalability: The platform's architecture is designed to handle increased workloads, making it a suitable choice for large-scale applications.
- Dedicated Customer Support: Betty Blocks offers dedicated customer support, ensuring users have access to assistance and guidance when needed.
What are its drawbacks?
BettyBlocks, has a higher learning curve compared to other no-code app builders, especially when configuring complex enterprise applications. Additionally, the platform does not provide transparent pricing information, making it essential for users to contact the company directly to obtain specific pricing details. Furthermore, for simpler applications, BettyBlocks may be considered overkill, as it offers a wide range of features and capabilities that you may not need, while they add up to the price of a subscription.
How much does BettyBlocks cost?
Betty Blocks' pricing information is not displayed on their website. To access specific pricing information for Betty Blocks, you will need to get in touch with their team directly. This lack of transparent pricing may be a drawback for some users, as it can make it more challenging to evaluate the platform's suitability for their needs without a clear understanding of the cost structure. We can only recommend reaching out to Betty Blocks directly to inquire about their pricing and to discuss your specific requirements with their team.
BettyBlocks in action
Sjors h. Business consultant:
“What I like best about BettyBlocks as a platform is the way it truly reduces the gap between business and IT. The no-code philosophy combined with the easy to use UI (on all three tiers) makes it so much easier to understand each other from a business and IT perspective. - What I like about BettyBlocks as an organization is not only the great support but also the active role BettyBlocks takes in the business case. From helping out in the technical solution to training of employees.”
An internal app for centralized data and project management built with BettyBlocks
Teyler, a Dutch company that focuses on making processes more efficient, faced a common problem. They were using old and outdated software like Excel and Access, which caused issues with managing their projects. This led to mistakes in estimating resources like materials and labor, impacting their profits.
They worked fast and had a goal to create a basic version of their solution in four weeks. Thanks to Betty Blocks, they built a system to gather data in one place, automate reports, and even offer a new service to their clients. This new way of working made it easier for Teyler's teams and their clients to collaborate without worrying about messing up each other's work, making their services more efficient and reliable.
Zoho Creator: best for budget-friendly development
Why choose Zoho Creator?
One of the standout aspects of Zoho Creator is its cost efficiency. The platform offers affordable pricing plans, including a free version that allows for exploration without financial commitment. This free tier provides access to a responsive app builder, form builder, automation workflow builder, app themes, and custom layouts, enabling a comprehensive assessment of the platform's capabilities before opting for a paid plan.
Beyond its budget-friendly approach, Zoho Creator is a versatile tool. It features an intuitive drag-and-drop interface, supports no-code integrations, and offers automation capabilities, making it adaptable to various industries. Users can leverage the platform to create web and native mobile apps, manage databases, streamline workflows, control inventory, and more, all within an incredibly user-friendly environment.
- Free version: The platform provides a feature-rich free version that includes a responsive app builder, form builder, automation workflows, and more, enabling users to explore its capabilities without financial commitment.
- Versatile app building: Zoho Creator's drag-and-drop interface, support for no-code integrations, and automation capabilities make it a versatile tool for creating web and native mobile apps across various industries.
- Zoho suite: Zoho Creator seamlessly integrates with the broader Zoho Suite, a comprehensive ecosystem of tools. This integration allows for enhanced capabilities and enables users to connect various Zoho applications to streamline their business processes effectively.
What are its drawbacks?
The platform doesn’t offer out-of-the-box integrations with popular apps and platforms as other no-code solutions do. However, it's important to note that users can still connect the services they require via REST APIs, a flexible solution for integrating with external platforms and systems. Additionally, while Zoho Creator excels in providing a versatile app development environment, customization may involve the use of the Deluge scripting language, which is unique to the platform. This learning curve can be a drawback for those looking for a purely no-code solution.
How much does Zoho Creator cost?
- Standard - US$8 per user per month (billed annually):
- This plan is perfect for individuals or small businesses who are just starting their app development journey. It offers an affordable entry point for those looking to explore the platform's capabilities.
- Professional - US$20 per user per month (billed annually):
- Geared towards businesses that need to develop apps to streamline operations within specific teams or departments.
- Enterprise - US$25 per user per month (billed annually):
- The most popular plan, tailored for creating core software solutions for your organization.
- Flex - Contact for Custom Pricing:
- For those with custom requirements and a need for a tailored plan. You can contact their team to discuss your requirements and create a custom plan that fits your organization.
Zoho Creator in action
Sayan B. Mid-Market:
What do you like best about Zoho Creator?
“Zoho Creator enables any Business to have greater flexibility over their processes and Scale business processes with super ease.”
What do you dislike about Zoho Creator?
“Limitations around Default API Consumption Limits, No. of Permission Sets and Number of Records allowed per Custom App is what I think they should increase.”
Softr: Best for beginners
Why choose Softr?
Softr is the ideal platform for beginners looking to dive into the world of web app development without the complexities of coding. Its user-friendly interface and intuitive tools make it accessible for those with little to no technical background. Softr simplifies the app creation process, making it easy for individuals and small businesses to create web apps, websites, and more. If you're new to app development and want to get started quickly, Softr is a fantastic choice.
- Templates and Layouts: The platform provides a variety of templates and layouts, helping users get started with their projects and saving valuable time.
- Integration with Popular Tools: Users can easily integrate their projects with popular tools and services, expanding the functionality of their apps.
- Responsive Design: Softr ensures that the web apps created on the platform are responsive and adapt well to various devices and screen sizes.
What are its drawbacks?
Users looking for extensive customization options may find that Softr's features are very limited, as the platform prioritizes ease of use over advanced capabilities. More experienced users seeking complex layouts or app functionalities might find that Softr's simplicity comes at the cost of depth.
How much does Softr cost?
- Free Plan: Ideal for individuals working on passion projects, the Free Plan allows unlimited app visitors and includes:
- 5 internal app users.
- 100 external app users.
- 5 workspace collaborators.
- Basic Plan: $49 per month. Geared toward entrepreneurs building new products.
- Custom CSS/JS for enhanced customization.
- 10 internal app users.
- 1,000 external app users.
- The ability to embed Softr apps.
- Professional Plan: $139 per month. Designed for small to medium-sized businesses and agencies building portals and internal tools.
- 50 internal app users.
- 5,000 external app users.
- 10 workspace collaborators.
- White-labeling options to remove Softr branding.
- Business Plan: $269 per month. For teams working on advanced custom apps.
- 100 internal app users.
- 10,000 external app users.
- 15 workspace collaborators.
- The option to download mobile apps (PWA) for enhanced accessibility.
- Enterprise Plan: Custom pricing. Tailored for larger companies with specific requirements. Contact the platform for a personalized quote.
- Security audit for enhanced data protection.
- A dedicated success manager to provide support.
- Team training to ensure effective utilization of the platform's capabilities.
Softr in action
Joshua R. - Head of Marketing:
“Overall, Softr is doing the right things in adding features that the community is asking for. Every time I have had a question or needed help with something, the Softr team has been quick to assist with meaningful replies to solve the issue.”
Emmanuel W. - Co-founder:
“Great software to work with, very good value/price ratio. Very easy to learn and integrate with other tools (Airtable, Stripe). The support team is super reactive and helpful.”
Ready to harness the power of no-code app builders? We’re here to help.
Reach out to us for a consultation and receive a detailed quote for your project, tailored to your needs.